OS X: Undelete iMessage messages #
- Find deleted or missing iMessage messages (.ichat files) in ~/Library/Messages/Archive.
- Attachments can be found in ~/Library/Messages/Attachments (view them all at ludicrous speed with Kenny Carruthers' Fileloupe).
- Since .ichat files are in binary property list format, some text search tools may not work, but grep does just fine:
$ grep -R somekeyword ~/Library/Messages/Archive/*
- Convert .ichat files to JSON with matrix-hacks' ichat2json. To handle multiple files, use a simple for loop like so:
$ for i in *; do ichat2json "$i" > "$i.txt"; done
- .ichat files can be converted to XML via plutil as explained by Sean Moubry:
$ plutil -convert xml1 message.ichat.
plutil reportedly supports conversion to JSON as well, but not in my brief testing:
$ plutil -convert json message.ichat
invalid object in plist for destination format
/mac | Jul 17, 2017
Subscribe or visit the archives