Migrating from Mail.app to Thunderbird #
- Mail Exporter Pro - Easiest way* to batch/bulk export Mail.app mailboxes/folders (including subfolders) into an easy-to-import format for Thunderbird via:
- ImportExportTools "adds some tools to import and export folders and messages". Also allows exporting folder indexes to compare contents, etc: ImportExportTools > Export all messages in the folder > just index (CSV).
- Another handy add-on is Theme Font & Size Changer which "lets you change the global font size and font family used for the user interface". Or go manual with userChrome.css.
- You can grant Thunderbird access to your Mac contacts if desired.
- Remove the splash screen/pane: Thunderbird > Preferences > General > uncheck "When Thunderbird launches, show the Start Page in the message area".
- Apply a custom set of columns to all folders by clicking the tiny icon at the far right of the column list and then "Apply columns to..."
* In Mail.app, you can highlight multiple mailboxes > "Export Mailbox..." > Options > Export all subfolders > Choose, but the resulting mbox files are all named "mbox".
/mac | Feb 05, 2017
Subscribe or visit the archives