suckless.org - tiny unix apps #
suckless.org is the "home of wmii, dwm, libixp, and other quality software with a focus on simplicity, clarity, and frugality." From the Manifest: "The more code lines you have removed, the more progress you have made. As the number of lines of code in your software shrinks, the more skilled you have become and the less your software sucks."
Embodies many of the principles Mike Gancarz extolled in The UNIX Philosophy:
- Small is beautiful.
- Make each program do one thing well.
- Build a prototype as soon as possible.
- Choose portability over efficiency.
- Store data in flat text files.
- Use software leverage to your advantage.
- Use shell scripts to increase leverage and portability.
- Avoid captive user interfaces.
- Make every program a filter.
/nix | Jul 01, 2011
Subscribe or visit the archives