Resolving BSOD (STOP: 0x0000007B) after a motherboard swap #
or hard drive migration:
- Download cdob's fix_7hdc.vbs (local cache) and save to removable media
- Boot to the Recovery Console (F8 > Repair Your Computer) or from a system repair/Windows 7 disc
- Insert media containing fix_7hdc.vbs
- Run cscript fix_7hdc.vbs /enable /search from the Command Prompt
- The above method was discovered only after:
- Other possible (but untried) fixes:
- UBCD4Win's Fix HDC ("Fix the Hard Drive Controller when replacing your motherboard on an XP system") & Fix IDE ("Fix the IDE Controller when replacing your motherboard on an XP system"). Despite the XP references, Fix HDC reportedly works for Windows 7 as well.
- FixIDE, "a utility to force-install standard IDE controller drivers on a foreign Windows XP installation. Purpose: To save you from a repair-install of Windows after a motherboard swap!"
/windows | Feb 17, 2014
Subscribe or visit the archives