Beautiful new software firewall and network monitor #
GlassWire is a network monitor and firewall for Windows with a lickable UI:
Only downside appears to be that outbound connections from new apps are not automatically blocked.
On a related note, I recently tested a number of firewalls with Comodo's HIPS and Firewall Leak Test Suite; the only product to pass all tests with virtually no setup or configuration was SpyShelter Firewall (though I didn't test Comodo's own fireall product; the download was over 230MB, compared to SpyShelter's 10MB).
(via Hacker News)
/windows | Aug 25, 2014
Japanese study tools #
- KanjiTomo identifies Japanese characters from images. Free for personal, non-commercial use.
- zkanji includes "dictionary, example sentences, kanji search and information with animated stroke order diagrams, vocabulary list printing, study functions and much more." Free and open source.
/windows | Aug 04, 2014
Excel: Delete/remove blank/empty columns #
Or rather, delete columns that are blank or have data in the first/header row only. Tested in Excel 2003 (Windows) and 2011 (Mac).
- Open spreadsheet in Excel
- Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor
- Paste the macro shown below (created by AnitaPita with a hand from jbeaucaire)
- File > Save
- File > Close and Return to Microsoft Excel
- Tools > Macro > Macros
- Click Run (if you have other macros in the spreadsheet, you'll need to select "DeleteROPBlanks" first)
- If your copy of Office 2011 does not have VBA installed, you can add it by running the installer again, choosing Customize, and then checking only "Visual Basic for Applications"
- Open spreadsheet in Excel
- Excel > Preferences > Ribbon > check Developer > OK
- On the ribbon menu, click Developer > Editor
- Insert > Module
- Paste VBA code shown above and then close Module window
- Macros > Run (if you have other macros in the spreadsheet, you'll need to select "DeleteROPBlanks" first)
/windows | Jul 24, 2014
Blocking Facebook, et al. #
Cold Turkey blocks access to undesirable sites and applications based on a schedule you set. Here is a list of what it adds to the hosts file by default:
I dimly recall an issue from long ago with the hosts file not filtering https sites (my memory may be faulty), but the above list blocked access to both the http and https versions of Facebook, etc under Windows 7 even without installing Cold Turkey.
/windows | Jun 30, 2014
Command line backup tool with versioning #
VBackup is a free (for personal or commercial use) command line backup program similar to XCOPY or Robocopy, but with support for file versioning. Versions are stored within a hidden directory (.VBackups) on the destination. While VBackup does not natively support shadow copies, you can pair it with the open source ShadowSpawn (among others) to backup in-use files.
/windows | Jun 08, 2014
If you do file backups, you need to check out Bvckup 2 #
Alex Pankratov (the original developer of Hamachi) has been crafting, honing, testing, and polishing Bvckup for years. The latest version, Bvckup 2, was beta tested for 12 months on over 10,000 installations. Here's what makes it exceptional:
- Crazy-simple UI hiding powerful features seldom seen in one package
- The entire installer (not some stub à la Mozilla Firefox or Adobe Flash Player), which includes both 32 and 64 bit versions, is just over 1.44MB
- Real-time, scheduled, or manual backups
- Delta copying (if your backup solution is still copying that entire PST or VMDK file every time a few bits change, you desperately need this)
- Many more performance boosts: asynchronous I/O, multi-core processing, destination snapshots, move/rename detection
- Archiving of deleted files forever or for x minutes, hours, days, weeks
- Much more: device tracking, run as service, shadow copies (backup in-use files), etc.
Full disclosure: Along with around 120 other beta testers, I received a surprise gift from Alex when beta testing completed: a 5-install professional license.
UPDATE: Promo code for 15% off personal licenses: TINYAPPS-2958.
/windows | May 31, 2014
MUCH faster access to Dell drivers #
UPDATE: John Rothlisberger kindly informs us that the FTP archive appears to have been abandoned:
I suspect the Dell FTP driver repository you linked to may no longer be maintained. I checked a couple of models that I own, and for example, for a Precision T3600 there are no 2014 drivers at all on the FTP site, but plenty on the normal (bloated) support site. The latest BIOS from the normal site is A12 from 12-Nov-2013, but on the FTP site only A08 from 22-Feb-2013.
/windows | May 11, 2014
Freeware reboot-to-restore apps #
have been covered before; here's another from Horizon Data Sys:
- Reboot Restore Rx
- Restore on reboot - reset to baseline on PC startup or hard reset
- One-click instant updates - update baseline without restarting PC
- VMWare support - virtual environment or as host
- Protects the MBR - works below Windows
- Mini OS access - restore from unbootable Windows OS
/windows | Mar 10, 2014
If Deep Freeze and Drive SnapShot had a love-child, #
it might look a lot like:
Reuschtools 3.07 [973k] $ Reboot-to-restore + bare-metal recovery (via WinPE disc that is created using base system - no need for WAIK or Windows install media) + adaptive restore to dissimilar hardware (including UEFI systems to BIOS and vice versa) + insanely fast, system image backup and restore (even to/from single system partition) + multiple, simultaneous destinations + 32 and 64 bit versions in a single installer under 1MB + support for Windows XP through 8.1 (including Server 2003, 2008, and 2012) + a slew of other features (encryption, compression, folder backups, scheduling, single click restores, etc) - activation scheme tied to hardware - incomplete English documentation
Don't miss CopyCd by the same author, a tiny app for copying and burning CDs, DVDs, BDs, and ISO files.
/windows | Mar 10, 2014
Optiplex 755: SM Bus Controller and PCI Serial Port not recognized #
To resolve, chipset drivers need to be installed. But you won't find them if you enter your Service Tag into Dell's support page. Drill down to your model beginning with "Select a product" instead to unearth the necessary drivers (Intel AMT HECI, Intel AMT SOL/LMS, and Intel Chipset Driver).
/windows | Mar 06, 2014
Subscribe or visit the archives