Preparing a Mac for resale or donation (Sierra edition) #
- Securely erase internal storage, install macOS, create temporary admin account (e.g., tempuser), install apps and updates, etc.
- Log in normally as tempuser and run:
$ sudo dscl . -delete /Groups/admin GroupMembership tempuser
$ sudo dscl . -delete /Users/tempuser
- Restart in Single User Mode and run:
# fsck -fy
# mount -uw /
# rm -R /Users/tempuser
# rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
# shutdown -h now
Regarding iLife and iWork apps
- This process does not preserve the iLife (iMovie, GarageBand) or iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) apps. If the new owner already owns these apps, s/he can download them free of charge from the App Store. Otherwise, they may need to be purchased.
- Preserving the iLife and iWork entitlement may be possible by following Apple's instructions in What to do before selling or giving away your Mac, which links to How to reinstall macOS, which advises starting from Internet Recovery (Option-Command-R), formatting the internal storage, and then selecting "Reinstall macOS". According to Apple, "This installs the system that came with your Mac when it was new. It isn't associated with your Apple ID, so the new owner can use the App Store to upgrade to a later version using their Apple ID." In limited testing, this process did not install the iLife and iWork apps, but it did cause them to appear under the Mac App Store "Purchased" tab ("You Have 5 Apps to Accept").
- Another possible approach, capturing and installing Mac App Store pkg files, may cause registration and update problems (as well as violate some EULA or other):
- See also:
/mac | Feb 18, 2017
Subscribe or visit the archives