Acronis True Image 2011 Problems and Fixes #
- Cloned a 120GB PATA hard drive to a 320GB PATA hard drive. Both were connected via PATA to USB adapters (the source drive was connected via WiebeTech's write-blocking Forensic UltraDock to ensure it wasn't accidentally overwritten).
- After cloning, the 320GB drive was connected to the primary IDE channel
- Upon booting, flashing white cursor on black screen
- Checked jumper, EIDE cable, etc - still wouldn't boot
- Ran fixboot and fixmbr from CD-based Windows XP Recovery Console - still no joy
- Tried a "reverse clone" (bad name choice); i.e., connect source PATA drive to USB adapter and destination PATA drive to EIDE cable, then clone again - success!
- Video card settings also needed tweaking, as the graphics were black & yellow and virtually unreadable:
- Pressed F11 at the boot choice menu and entered "quiet acpi=off noapic" (without quotes) to no avail
- 3836: Acronis Bootable Media of Acronis True Image Home Boots into Garbled or Low Resolution GUI held the answer: after pressing F11, enter "vga=ask" (without quotes). Choose a video mode with 16-bit color and at the root prompt enter /bin/product to start True Image.
/windows | Oct 16, 2011
Subscribe or visit the archives