Download emcopy.exe directly from EMC (rather than some random FTP site) #
I just learned about emcopy.exe, a file copy utility from EMC similar (and superior in some ways) to xcopy, robocopy, xxcopy, etc. Finding and downloading it is not as straightforward as it should be; here's what worked for me:
- Signup for a free account at https://support.emc.com.
- Click link in activation email to complete signup process and then sign in.
- (Before continuing to step 4, I clicked "Download Center Registration" on the https://support.emc.com/downloads page and registered; not sure if that was required, as the form output was rather ambiguous.)
- The direct download link for the archive containing emcopy.exe (https://download.emc.com/downloads/DL32449_CIFS-Tools.zip.zip (yes, there are two .zip file extensions), which I originally found mentioned here, did not initially work for me even after signing in (though a bit later it did start working - not sure if this had anything to do with the Download Center Registration). I had to go to https://support.emc.com/downloads/82_Celerra, click the Title column, search the page for "CIFS Tools.zip", and click the link there to download (MD5: c5e480a84e6dd7d8d3b2f2186a549d0c | October 30, 2013 | 8.5 MB).
- Once unzipped, you'll find 32 and 64 bit versions of emcopy.exe 04.14 in disk3/apps_184.108.40.206/CifsTools/emcopy/nt/ as well as a readme.txt file in the directory just above.
UPDATE: Robocopy replacement (covers another interesting tool, strarc.exe)
/windows | Oct 26, 2014
Subscribe or visit the archives