Concatenate multiple HTML files into a single EPUB file #
Since Kindle e-Readers inexplicably do not support EPUB, users can convert the generated EPUB file to MOBI with calibre:
- "File" > "Add" > "Existing Files..."
- select desired HTML files
- "File" > "Save As..." > set filename and destination for EPUB.
- "Add books" > select desired EPUB file
- "Convert books" > Output format: "MOBI" > "OK"
- After conversion, right click title > "Open containing folder" > copy MOBI file to Kindle
UDPATE 1: Combine multiple HTML files into a single PRC ebook
UDPATE 2: Ken Turner's open source htmlcat Perl script (crafted back in 1998) still works great for combining any number of HTML files into a single one, which can be easily converted to other formats (e.g., MOBI via Amazon's KindleGen, etc).
/eink | Feb 26, 2015
E Ink word processor #
A few years ago, we shared how to turn your Kindle DX into an E Ink computer monitor. For those who prefer a simpler, all-in-one device, the Hemingwrite will offer: 6" E Ink screen, aluminum case, mechanical keyboard with customizable Cherry MX switches, and WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity.
Somewhat similar concept as the AlphaSmart, though E Ink and Cherry switches will be a huge upgrade. It would be nice to see more screen and less case in the top half of the device.
/eink | Oct 28, 2014
Kindle: Opening PRC files #
PSA: Some Kindle devices and app versions open PRC files just fine, but others require that the extension be changed from PRC to MOBI. More: .prc vs. .mobi | Are PRC and MOBI files identical?
/eink | Mar 09, 2014
13.3" E Ink tablet #
Sony is planning to release an A4-sized E Ink tablet later this year using E Ink's Mobius display. Until then, the Kindle DX makes a good computer monitor. (Note to hardware manufacturers: still waiting for a plug-and-play E Ink monitor for text-intensive tasks and perhaps even video/animation).
/eink | May 19, 2013
Rugged E Ink Android tablet for the backcountry #
Earl is an E Ink tablet built for outdoor use:
- Android 4.1
- Flexible 6" E-ink screen (1024x768)
- Sunlight viewable with lunar lantern mode
- Glove friendly IR touchscreen
- Waterproof shell
- Solar (or USB) charging
- i.MX 6 DualLite 1GHz Cortex A9
- 1GB ram
- 16GB memory + microSD
- WiFi b/g/n
- BT 4.0
- GPS + GLONASS
- IR blaster
- 20+ hour battery
- 20" USB lanyard
- 303 grams (10.8 oz)
- 183mm x 121mm x 15mm (7.2" x 4.75" x 0.6")
/eink | May 11, 2013
E Ink computer monitor #
Still waiting for an E Ink monitor? Use your Kindle DX as a second display.
Additional keywords for the bleary-eyed:
- E-Ink computer screen
- Kindle external keyboard
- E Ink monitor for computer
- E Ink word processor
- E Ink display for writing
- Kindle as computer monitor
- Writing on Kindle
- An external keyboard for your Kindle
/eink | Apr 02, 2012
Combine multiple HTML files into a single PRC ebook #
and generate a table of contents automatically with Mobipocket Creator. Additional keywords: batch, concatenate, convert, HTML2PRC, Kindle.
UPDATE: Concatenate multiple HTML files into a single EPUB file
/eink | Dec 03, 2011
Optimizing PDFs for E Ink displays #
- briss crops PDFs via a simple page stack view.
- cut2col "is a utility for converting 2-column to 1-column pdf documents. This is done by cutting each page into 4 pieces and merging them together so that they can be viewed on a tiny e-book reader."
- K2pdfopt "optimizes PDF/DJVU files for mobile e-readers (e.g. the Kindle) and smartphones. It works well on multi-column PDF/DJVU files."
- Mangle optimizes, sorts, and organizes images for the Kindle. Article
- papercrop optimizes PDF documents for ebook readers.
- PDFCropper "is a program designed for preparing normal sized PDFs (A4, B4, Letter, etc.) to be readable on relatively small devices..."
- PDFRead converts "PDF and DJVU documents for reading on eBook devices. It does this by creating an image out of each page, enhancing the image and then collating the images in a device-specific format."
- PDF Scissors crops PDFs for ebook readers like the Kindle.
- See also Cropping PDFs from last year.
- Edit PDF metadata, bookmarks, page labels and more with BeCyPDFMetaEdit.
- jPDF Tweak is a veritable Swiss Army knife for PDF files, allowing you to make printable booklets, add bookmarks and effects, change metadata, and perform a slew of additional functions like: combine, watermark, rotate, encrypt, and sign.
- Extract images from PDFs with pdfimages for Linux, PDF-Images for OS X, or Some PDF Images Extract for Windows. Learn how images are stored in PDF files.
/eink | Oct 31, 2011
VNC client for Kindle #
KindleVNC allows not only remote viewing but also remote control of your computer running a VNC server. Very polished and well-thought-out. Tested with OS X's standard VNC server ("Screen Sharing" on port 5900). (via MobileRead)
/eink | Oct 02, 2011
Newly added to the Docs section #
Installing Luigi Rizzo's Standalone Kindle Terminal
/eink | Feb 25, 2011
Subscribe or visit the archives